Reasons why not to support Rom Manager anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
i agree with all that , the problem is that we cant sit back after paying money and say nothing....if i walk into anywhere and i pay 5 bucks for something i expect to get what i pay for. if i walk into mcdonalds pay 5 dollars for a meal and i get a burger without the meat...i dont drive away and say oh man i am unlucky,,,nope i turn around and i expect to get a full burger.... so yeah i appreciate the work he does but in this instance we would at the very least expect acknowledgement ,,,even if he were to put a warning at this point so future fascinate owners dont spend money on this product i would be satisfied,,...im just saying lol

I hear you....don't mind me for inquiring before I say something stupid....contempt prior to investigation is a fools way. Strip his cred! That is foul to know for months and profit on people that don't get what they pay for. The whole thing sucks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I hear you....don't mind me for inquiring before I say something stupid....contempt prior to investigation is a fools way. Strip his cred! That is foul to know for months and profit on people that don't get what they pay for. The whole thing sucks.

yeah , credit where credit is due, he def made a fantastic product,,,but for us as fascinate owners who are patrons, well it needed to be addressed at some point and all the past efforts have gone without results.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah , credit where credit is due, he def made a fantastic product,,,but for us as fascinate owners who are patrons, well it needed to be addressed at some point and all the past efforts have gone without results.

My question is why?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I took time and read through this whole thread from start to finish. There are definitely a lot of good points that you guys are making in regards support for what you paid for.

As much as see where you guys are coming from, you do have to keep in mind that he does have a lot on his plate.

-A huge contributor to CyanogenMod (on many devices)
-Created and maintains the Rom Manager app on multiple devices.
-Created and maintains Clockwork Mod recovery on multiple devices.
-Has a full time job.

This is in no way meant as a justification for him not supporting an app that you (paying customers) paid for because that is unsettling and I would be bothered if my device stopped seeing support. I think he has spread his efforts too broad for him to maintain by himself. I am not aware of how the clockwork mod team works but it seems like the system may need to change in order to accommodate it's customers.

From this whole situation, 2 things come to my attentions:

1- Perfect time for somebody to put out an app that will create some competition and give users options when choosing a rom assisting app. Competition creates innovation and that alone would increase productivity.

2- When is it ok for a dev. to give up on support for an app in the market without facing angry customers? Let's say 5 years from now Koush moves on to other things, what would be the response from the users? By then Rom Manager would have been out for 6 years. Would people be annoyed or angry? I can't say how I would react but it def concerns me to know that this can happen at any time. An app that I use every day no longer works and there aren't any other apps similar to it.

Reactions: Johnly

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My question is why?

why it was not resolved, i dont know..maybe cause he was busy or maybe it is out of his control, but still, post it in the market, does not work properly with fascinates,...... would have gone a long way...

why do we need to address it , because otherwise people will continue purchasing a product that does not work for them

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I took time and read through this whole thread from start to finish. There are definitely a lot of good points that you guys are making in regards support for what you paid for.

As much as see where you guys are coming from, you do have to keep in mind that he does have a lot on his plate.

-A huge contributor to CyanogenMod (on many devices)
-Created and maintains the Rom Manager app on multiple devices.
-Created and maintains Clockwork Mod recovery on multiple devices.
-Has a full time job.

This is in no way meant as a justification for him not supporting an app that you (paying customers) paid for because that is unsettling and I would be bothered if my device stopped seeing support. I think he has spread his efforts too broad for him to maintain by himself. I am not aware of how the clockwork mod team works but it seems like the system may need to change in order to accommodate it's customers.

From this whole situation, 2 things come to my attentions:

1- Perfect time for somebody to put out an app that will create some competition and give users options when choosing a rom assisting app. Competition creates innovation and that alone would increase productivity.

2- When is it ok for a dev. to give up on support for an app in the market without facing angry customers? Let's say 5 years from now Koush moves on to other things, what would be the response from the users? By then Rom Manager would have been out for 6 years. Would people be annoyed or angry? I can't say how I would react but it def concerns me to know that this can happen at any time. An app that I use every day no longer works and there aren't any other apps similar to it.

Absolutely right,,,but all of this can be avoided by posting in the description in the market...."this product no long recieves support purchase with that knowledge"

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I put a couple of reviews on appbrain.

Really poor form to sell at, for an android app a high price, as a 'root' app and then not support root features.

I get 'paid' version of all 'root' apps, sorry I paid for this one. Dev has shown his true colors.

Taking crack at another forum is really poor form, especially one with the traffic this one gets, and the herculean work put in by some to keep the 'stickies' up-to-date and complete.

Put RM behind us (after leaving a few reviews) and let's move on.

Edit: BIG +1 on a clear warning on Market would restore some cred. As of 2/27 just some cryptic message about flashing CWM.

Last edited:

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
rom manager has now been updated for the fascinate, tweets from koush:

"Clockwork 3.0.0.8 for Fascinate now on ROM Manager. Huge thanks to @_jt1134 or sitting with me for 8 hours to debug it."

"Fascinate 3.0 recovery does backup/restore of kernel now. (Not available in 2.x)"

Reactions: Johnly

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
why it was not resolved, i dont know..maybe cause he was busy or maybe it is out of his control, but still, post it in the market, does not work properly with fascinates,...... would have gone a long way...

why do we need to address it , because otherwise people will continue purchasing a product that does not work for them

Exactly, that is why I question...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Koush, always supported you bro....haters hate, that will always be...(I like the little people, but I say Koush is cred!) Damn me for getting sucked into this crap

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Koush, always supported you bro....haters hate, that will always be...(I like the little people, but I say Koush is cred!) Damn me for getting sucked into this crap

So let me get this straight. We should blindly support Koush after he blatantly tells the Fascinate community that others should fix his app's deficiencies?

Interesting. By the way, I fixed fix permissions for rom manager....Koush did not, despite it being his app.

I know Koush had been apologetic to the SF devs and is now working with them.

However, not only does it not excuse his message that insulted the entire fascinate community, but it os also an admission that what he said was a bunch of bullcrap. Couple that with him admitting it was a drunken tweet..

Don't treat Koush like he is innocent in all of this. He made an ass of himself and as such, folks aren't standing for.it.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
All Koush has to do to make this right, is issue an apology to the community.

Just something like, hey, I was drunk said some harsh things...my bad.

He probably will not however, most likely from pride.

Well, pride cometh before the fall. Never bite the hand that feeds you. The only thing worse than a disillusioned user is one that would have paid.

I myself am content that he is working with the devs now, where he was not before. However, there are plenty of other people enraged right now, and he needs to do some damage control.

Point in case...this thread, the thread on XDA, the tweets, the market comments...

This is not just about one person being angry, its about A LOT of angry people.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
OK, so now what?

I have the JT's Fixed Red CWM installed and I'm running SC 2.6 Voodoo. I'm a Premium user of ROM Manager and like many here I have been frustrated by the problems with the Fascinate. I used it mostly for making Nandroid backups with real names. When that stopped working I stopped using it. Aside from ROM Manager not working right, all of my other recovery stuff seems to be working fine.

Now, via Twitter, we have this little tiny bit of news:

@clockworkmod (Koushik Dutta): Fascinate 3.0 recovery does backup/restore of kernel now. (Not available in 2.x)

A few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for elsewhere:

Does this mean that RM and CWM can now work together properly again?

Is the new CWM 3.0.0.8 compatible with VoodDoo?

RM reports that 3.0.0.8 is available to install. If I flash 3.0.0.8 using RM, will this break anything?

Is there any reason not to go from JT's 2.5.1.0 CWM to the new 3.0.0.8 and start using RM the way I was using it before?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the JT's Fixed Red CWM installed and I'm running SC 2.6 Voodoo. I'm a Premium user of ROM Manager and like many here I have been frustrated by the problems with the Fascinate. I used it mostly for making Nandroid backups with real names. When that stopped working I stopped using it. Aside from ROM Manager not working right, all of my other recovery stuff seems to be working fine.

Now, via Twitter, we have this little tiny bit of news:

@clockworkmod (Koushik Dutta): Fascinate 3.0 recovery does backup/restore of kernel now. (Not available in 2.x)

A few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for elsewhere:

Does this mean that RM and CWM can now work together properly again?

Is the new CWM 3.0.0.8 compatible with VoodDoo?

RM reports that 3.0.0.8 is available to install. If I flash 3.0.0.8 using RM, will this break anything?

Is there any reason not to go from JT's 2.5.1.0 CWM to the new 3.0.0.8 and start using RM the way I was using it before?

You can do nandroid backups with real names in cwm, it just takes a few extra steps. After you do your nandroid, boot phone, plug into pc with debugging on, mount sd card, go to clockworkmod folder, go to backups, right click on your nandroid and choose rename. Done. No more need for rom manager.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this straight. We should blindly support Koush after he blatantly tells the Fascinate community that others should fix his app's deficiencies?

Interesting. By the way, I fixed fix permissions for rom manager....Koush did not, despite it being his app.

I know Koush had been apologetic to the SF devs and is now working with them.

However, not only does it not excuse his message that insulted the entire fascinate community, but it os also an admission that what he said was a bunch of bullcrap. Couple that with him admitting it was a drunken tweet..

Don't treat Koush like he is innocent in all of this. He made an ass of himself and as such, folks aren't standing for.it.
Sorry the fascinate gets no love. Not all apps run effectively with every device. For you to start a hate Koush thread is ridiculous. You also can't run the moto torch app either. Go ahead and be disgruntled, but remember, android is the most fragmented OS out. If incompatable apps disturb you so much, mabey android isn't for you? RM works on way more devices than it doesn't. why don't you write the code? Seems to me that would help your situation more than flaming Koush? POV guy

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Please keep your comments civil. Negatively criticizing somebody for actions you don't agree with is not helping your cause. There are better, more productive things you could be doing to contribute towards a solution. Contact the developers and explain your concerns in a professional manner. If you guys want something done about this issue, name calling and making negative comments are not going to help.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Please keep your comments civil. Negatively criticizing somebody for actions you don't agree with is not helping your cause. There are better, more productive things you could be doing to contribute towards a solution. Contact the developers and explain your concerns in a professional manner. If you guys want something done about this issue, name calling and making negative comments are not going to help.

This thread negatively criticised one of the best Dev's android has? Maybe the problem should be cut from its source?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
All Koush has to do to make this right, is issue an apology to the community.

Just something like, hey, I was drunk said some harsh things...my bad.

He probably will not however, most likely from pride.

Well, pride cometh before the fall. Never bite the hand that feeds you. The only thing worse than a disillusioned user is one that would have paid.

I myself am content that he is working with the devs now, where he was not before. However, there are plenty of other people enraged right now, and he needs to do some damage control.

Point in case...this thread, the thread on XDA, the tweets, the market comments...

This is not just about one person being angry, its about A LOT of angry people.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. He has done plenty IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick